Saturday, March 05, 2005

More Unfortunate Events

I am typing on an arm that was just subjected to a full round of Rabies Injections!

Whooo Hoooo!!!

After hearing the advice of nearly everyone after the incident, I checked myself into Betty Ford. Sitting in the emergency room of the Reading Hospital gave me flashbacks, and my knee really started aching. Not nearly as much, however, as the ache in my head knowing what was coming.

"Did you know the cat?" the admitting nurse asked.

"No," I said.

"Oooohhh," she replied, in that oh-so-knowing way.

That was around 6-ish. I told the same story to several nurses, admitting and attending, as well as the Doctor PA who finally saw me. "Rabies shots you for, my friend." "Are you serious? Can't I just have the tetanus? Please?" JUST the tetanus shot? I was desperate! That was like 7-ish.

Oh, no, the staff was adamant! I needed to be injected with at least 50 needles, it was God's choice! I don't do needles well, y'all. After the first 5 injections, I was laying down. By the seventh I was seeing stars. When it was all over, I felt like Hunter S. on a Vegas bender (peace, HST).

And that was just Day 0. I have FOUR MORE VISITS!

Luckily, those days are just one shot. I may be able to WALK after just one. As it stands, I have to take a precautionary antibiotic, just in case. Cats have filthier mouths, even more so than me, it seems. I can't get over how funny this whole thing is; I'm giddy with the absurdity

Moral of the story? I dunno, I still say you should care about animals and try to help strays. I would want someone to help me if I were lost. Just don't open the door too wide...

2 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger Bruce May said...

We are all so sorry to learn you are going thru this trauma as a result of a caring 'good deed'. It is a prudent course you are following and, though it magnifies the pain, it provides for the fact that nothing long-term results.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Hey, Lauren, I did NOT leave the cat in the door. It CAME in. So there. Humph!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home